It is wise to watch your belongings at all times. Never leave your camera or other personal items unattended.
Ecuador is considered one of the safest countries in the Andean region; however, it is always a good idea to be cautious during your visit, especially the main cities, Quito and Guayaquil, which can be more dangerous than the countryside.
- If you are not visiting the city with a tour guide, find out about unsafe sectors and avoid them. Also make sure that you know what the best times are to visit tourist sites.
- Walk confidently with your head up, look around every so often, never “act lost”.
- Avoid people who are too friendly too quickly, or who offer to show you around.
- Don’t wear expensive jewelry or wristwatches when walking around the cities.
- Keep your cameras inside your bag or out of sight.
- It is recommended that you carry shoulder bags and purses in front of you in crowded places.
- Keep all bags and other valuables where you can see them in restaurants, buses and other public places.